But the otherwise delicious dish at right is chicken and mushrooms over cheese polenta (corn meal mush). If you've saved a few cheese shavings, sprinkle these on top.
Ingredients (for two servings):
- Cooked chicken from one largish breast half, boned and cut into smallish chunks
- 2 Tbl. olive oil
- 1/2 cup or more coarsely sliced or chopped mushrooms
- 1 large shallot or small mild onion, julienned
- 1/2 jalapeño or other hot pepper, seeds removed and inner membrane removed, then diced. Delete or add more to suit your taste
- 1/4 cup chopped, oil packed sun-dried tomatoes or sun-dried tomato pesto. I used Classico Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sauté pan
- Sauté the mushrooms, shallot and jalapeño
- Add the chicken and sun-dried tomatoes or pesto and heat through
- Add the parsley and wine or broth. Simmer until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the water to a boil. Slowly pour in the cornmeal, whisking constantly.
- As soon as most of the lumps are gone, turn off the heat and whisk in the cheese.
- Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to taste.