- To roast a butternut squash, leave it whole but poke a few holes in the skin with a fork. Put it in a shallow pan and roast at 400°F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the squash is very soft. When the squash has cooled, remove the stem, skin, seeds and "strings."
- In a soup pot, sauté a chopped onion and minced garlic in olive oil until translucent.
- Add the roasted squash and cover with fat-free chicken broth.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the mixture.
- Optionally add a can of fat-free evaporated milk.
- Add ground or rubbed sage, salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat through.