They are sweet; add a little brown sugar and they are decadently sweet. They can be cooked using almost any method from microwave to stove top to oven. They are even good raw. They feel wonderfully starchy yet, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest, sweet potatoes are better for you than broccoli!
If you need to hurry along sweet potatoes, they take well to being microwaved and mashed.
For two helpings of decadent mashed sweet potatoes:
- 1-3 sweet potatoes (depending on size)
- 1-2 Tbl. butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 Tbl. brown sugar
- Salt & white pepper to taste
- Peel and thinly slice the sweet potato. The thinner you slice it the easier it will be to mash.
- Place in a covered microwave bowl with about 1/3 cup water.
- Microwave on high, covered, about 15 minutes, until the water has almost disappeared and the potatoes are soft.
- Mash remaining ingredients into the sweet potatoes.
- Microwave another minute to bring back to temperature.